Summer Trends 2023
By Twin Cities Stylist Kathy Banta
Summer 2023 definitely has "a look". Some of the trends we're seeing are easy to incorporate into our wardrobes and you may already have similar items in your closet that you can pull out and use again. Some, are interesting and seem like they cycled back quickly from the last time we saw them. Honestly, I don't think there's any new ideas but, there are new ways to pair them. Let's see if any of these are exciting to you?
The Summer Suit Vest - I was in love with suit vests in the 1980s. I wore them over cropped sleeved tees and I will again this Summer. But, you will see them worn as a sleeveless top option with wide legged pants or cropped denim. I'll wear mine with cut off jean shorts and sneakers, too.
2. Pendant Heart Necklaces - This is nothing new but, if you look, you'll see them EVERY-WHERE! This is a great gift for the season, too.
Nordstrom Evereve Anthropologie
3. Sheer Sleeves - In the last couple years mothers across the Midwest were frustrated by the crop top and bra-like Summer tops. The prayers for more modest trends were lifted but, you better keep praying. This Summer you'll see sheer tops to be worn over those bra-like tops.
For another fun way to wear them wear your sheer top under your suit vest.
MARCELLA Anthropologie TOPSHOP
4. Metallic - You'll see it in pants, dresses and all over in accessories. Metallic clothing trends, although they are HOT, will be short lived and lack versatility. But, a metallic purse or sandals will have a longer trend life and be classics for years to come.
5. Maxi Skirts - Didn't we just get all our maxi skirts out of our closets?! Yep! They're back. This time they are here with ruffles, and layers in a prairie meets hobo vibe. Maxi skirts do not work for everyone. Just because it's in style doesn't mean it's good for all. So, be honest with yourself.
Nordstrom Anthropoligie Evereve
6. Denim Maxi Skirts - This is one of the HOTTEST Summer trends. But again, it's not for all. (It's not for me.) This look is so cool on a few and frumpy on many, giving the appearance of twenty extra pounds. Personally, I can't get past the commune vibe. But, you tall slim gals can wear these and get away with a lot more than the rest of us.
Free People Anthropologie Zara
Summer Colors - Green and Cobalt and bold deep Pink are still the trend. Here's the Pantone Summer Pallette.
7. White On White - wearing white on white on white mixing textures is a Summer trend. Another is a classic black Summer weight dress.
This past Winter seemed to last extra long but, Spring is here and Summer is right around the corner. Enjoy the season change and have fun with these Summer trends.
Twin Cities Wardrobe Consultant Kathy Banta